Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Possible Breakthrough

Before Alex arrived, I had started to read the first part of a book that was recommended to me by my sister. After he came however, I forgot everything that I read in it. Well, in my search for the "magic cure" of Alex not wanting to take naps in his crib, I came across this book again. Apparently a lot of people online highly recommend it as well. I decided to review what I had previously read and we decided to try his recommendations. We started to look for cues that he was getting tired (before he started to fuss and cry), swaddle him, lie him in his crib, and give him his pacifier. We were going to follow the "let cry," meaning that we would let him cry himself to sleep. Thankfully, we haven't had to even let him cry becuase he has fallen asleep by himself after only a fuss period of 5 minutes maximum. So far this is our third day on the program and it is working magically!! I'm not saying that we have found the answer, but it seems like we are on to something here. Hopefully this will continue to work because I am able to get SO much more done throughout the day if I'm not having to hold a napping baby. I'm not on edge wondering if he is going to wake up and scream either. So, Thank you Dr. Weissbluth!!!

Recommended reading for all new parents:


How Alex takes his naps now:


Alex's New boy clothes from Italy:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay for books that provide suggestions that actually work! And thank you thank you for sharing them with other new parents of newborns who have trouble napping! Or maybe it's just the parents failing to see the "I'm tired" cues. :)